The Guide to Wash Your Hair Extensions
Hair Extensions are a hair styling technique that can completely revamp your hair look. You can add partial extensions or cover your entire natural hair with these extensions to avail a new appearance. The three types of hair extensions available are:
- Clip-ins – The extensions are clipped to natural hair with a clip.
- Weaves – The extensions are sewn into hair close to the scalp to offer full coverage.
- Keratin Extensions – Numerous small strands of extensions are glued onto natural hair close to the roots.
While getting hair extensions job done is amazing, but washing them can be a big pain. But, you can enhance the life of your extensions and make them look shiny and healthy only by properly washing them. So, here are the best ways to wash your hair extensions!
Washing Clip-in Extensions
- Remove Extensions – Clip-in extensions are temporary and can be conveniently removed from home. You must remove the clip-ins during swimming or showering to avoid any damages with water.
- Gently Detangle – You need to detangle the extensions before washing them. You can detangle with a wide-tooth comb or with your fingers.
- Fill Washbasin with Warm Water – Warm water is ideal to gently cleanse extensions and rinse away grime and dust from them.
- Immerse Extensions in Water – Hold each strand with the clip and make sure the clip does not get in contact with water. Use your fingers to evenly wet the extensions.
- Clean Extensions with a Shampoo – Use a sulfate free, alcohol free shampoo to wash the extensions. Avoid creating any tangles and lather each strand from top to bottom.
- Rinse Well with Warm Water – Once shampooing is done, rinse well each extensions with lukewarm water. Squeeze away all extra water from top to tip.
- Apply Conditioner – Massage the extensions with a light-weight conditioner. Keep it for a couple of minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Let them Air Dry – Hair extensions are much gentle than the natural hair. Bringing them to direct contact with hot air can damage them.
Hence, the best way is to hang them straight and let them air dry.
Washing Weave Extensions
- Go for a Pre-Wash Treatment – Moisturize or oil the weave extensions before washing them. Since they are not receiving the natural oil produced by your scalp, so weave extensions are expected to become dry. Oil them an hour before you wash them.
- Clean your Scalp and Hair – Use equal portions of apple cider vinegar and water to remove all the built-up and prevent occurring of dandruff or other scalp problems. Let it set for few minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Use Mild Shampoo – Use gentle and moisturizer based shampoo to wash the weaves to treat any damage and keep them healthy. Rinse well after shampooing.
- Go for Deep Conditioning – Deep condition your weaves with a moisturizer. Let it stay for 15 – 20 minutes and then rinse well with warm water.
- Let the Weaves Air Dry – Allow your weaves to air dry and ensure that they dry well till the roots. Moist or damp hair can result in the growth of bacterial infections.
Washing Kertain Extensions
- Use Sulfate-Free Shampoo – Go for sulfate-free, paraben-free, and alcohol-free shampoo to avoid damaging your keratin extensions. Using right shampoo is extremely important as shampoos with sulfate or silicone can cause a big and lasting damage.
- Wet each strand – Use lukewarm water to wet each strand. Run your fingers between each strand to avoid tangling of the extensions.
- Shampoo Well – Massage well the shampoo from top to bottom of each strand. Rinse the shampoo with warm water.
- Apply Conditioner – Conditioning your extensions is essential to provide them with natural oils and moisturizer needed for their healthy look. Use a mild yet effective moisturizer. Rinse well the moisturizer and allow your extensions to air dry for a shiny and healthy look.
Now that you have known the best way to wash your extensions, so girls, keep going! Plan a weekly washing regimen for your extensions for the best results.Whether you are using hair extensions for fun or because of a purpose, washing extensions properly are the only ways to keep them appear gorgeous and beautiful. Simply, go for it!